PSDTC Forum
PSDTC Forum
Top | Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
New here? Please register!   Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Kuntao/Kun Tao
 Reeders' style of Kun Tao
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Page: 
of 9
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
n/a

11 Posts
Posted - 02/11/2005 :  05:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wow, All these people who are from the Liu Seong/William Reeders Kuntao family.. I didn't know there were so many of them. I will pay more attention to the board now since Sifu Spitale is one of my Kuntao instructors

Bill
Maharlika Kuntao
Guam

Edited by - silat1 on 02/09/2005 00:03:57

William Reeders seemed to get around. How did so many train under him and acheive instructor level? Did he do many seminars at one time?

Ron Kosakowski
Practical Self Defense Training Center
2148 South Main St.
Waterbury, CT 06706
203-596-9073
info@psdtc.com
http://www.psdtc.com

I cannot speak to the other individuals whom claim to be instructors of Reeders Kun Tao. I can however speak to Master Servidio's credentials. His credentials and character are beyond reproach. As I mentioned in an ealier post, Master Servidio has chosen to stay out of the lime light and controversy of those claiming to be the successor of Master Reeders. His only goal has been to promote Reeders Kun Tao has authentically as possible. He was in regular communication with Master Reeders until the time of his death. Even making a trip to visit him in New Mexico shortly before his passing.

Respectfully,

Joe Gionti

Go to Top of Page

n/a

11 Posts
Posted - 02/11/2005 :  08:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to add some information to the question of students of GM Reeders. Some of the first individuals to train from Master Reeders beginning around 1960 were the following:

Robert Servidio
Art Sikes
Harry Zimmer
Artis Simmons
Ed Carter

Of these individuals the longest to train and the one whom received the entire system from Master Reeders was Master Robert Servidio. Master Servidio passed on his knowledge to several individuals, the top student of his was Master Scott Young whom I study from. After 1965 Master Reeders stopped teaching pure Kun Tao. Guy Savelli started around 1964 as did Ed Seely and Ray Cunningham. After 1965 Master Reeders began teaching what he referred to as Tibetan Tai Chi.

My comments are not intended to disparage any individuals or discredit their claims. My intention is to state was has been relayed to me through my Kun Tao lineage.

Respectfully submitted

Joe Gionti

Go to Top of Page

psdtc

USA
6855 Posts
Posted - 02/13/2005 :  21:50:08  Show Profile  Visit psdtc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would like to add some information to the question of students of GM Reeders. Some of the first individuals to train from Master Reeders beginning around 1960 were the following:

Robert Servidio
Art Sikes
Harry Zimmer
Artis Simmons
Ed Carter

Of these individuals the longest to train and the one whom received the entire system from Master Reeders was Master Robert Servidio. Master Servidio passed on his knowledge to several individuals, the top student of his was Master Scott Young whom I study from. After 1965 Master Reeders stopped teaching pure Kun Tao. Guy Savelli started around 1964 as did Ed Seely and Ray Cunningham. After 1965 Master Reeders began teaching what he referred to as Tibetan Tai Chi.

My comments are not intended to disparage any individuals or discredit their claims. My intention is to state was has been relayed to me through my Kun Tao lineage.

Respectfully submitted

Joe Gionti

I see there is a lot of attention given to this area of the forum. I would like to know more about this style of kun Tao. Is it Indonesian or Filipino? To go to Tibetan Tai Chi sounds like he wanted the more peaceful side of martial arts. However, Tai Chi has its place for realism depending on who you learn it from!

Ron Kosakowski
2148 South Main St.
Waterbury, CT 06706
203-596-9073
info@psdtc.com
http://www.psdtc.comGo to Top of Page

n/a

11 Posts
Posted - 02/14/2005 :  05:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The style of Kun Tao passed down from Master Reeders to the individuals I listed in an earlier post is from China. As many have stated Liu Siong was orginally from China and when he moved to Indonesia is when he began teaching Master Reeders.

Go to Top of Page

psdtc

USA
6855 Posts
Posted - 02/15/2005 :  13:00:34  Show Profile  Visit psdtc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The style of Kun Tao passed down from Master Reeders to the individuals I listed in an earlier post is from China. As many have stated Liu Siong was orginally from China and when he moved to Indonesia is when he began teaching Master Reeders.

I have read where many Indonesian style Kun Tao methods had held on to their Chinese roots in the training methods. Where others had adapted to the indigenous fighting methods as well as environment. I guess that depends on where they are. Some may have to adapt...but that is the way of Kun tao...a good fighting system like that can adapt to environment and existing fighting styles. By researching so many martial arts, I can see where my style had done exactly that and of course what my teacher had done to adapt it to odern time self defense methods and now what I have done. All good martial arts can keep their basic theme and still adapt. Some call that selling out but evolution is a way of life!

Ron Kosakowski
2148 South Main St.
Waterbury, CT 06706
203-596-9073
info@psdtc.com

n/a

11 Posts
Posted - 02/15/2005 :  13:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron,

You may have already stated this, but what is the lineage of your Kun Tao.

Thanks

Joe Gionti

Go to Top of Page

psdtc

USA
6855 Posts
Posted - 02/15/2005 :  13:21:17  Show Profile  Visit psdtc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ron,

You may have already stated this, but what is the lineage of your Kun Tao.

Thanks

Joe Gionti

Mine is from the late Grand Master Joe Rossi. He had been set up by our government to train the killing methods for WW2 and after the war he went back to the Philippines to learn the whole system. What the name of his teacher was is unknown to me! There is more, I have a new webpage coming soon and Tapes, DVD's and a book...all will be out soon! Its a fascinating style!

Not to get completely of the subject but, check out topic:
http://forum.psdtc.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=739 This is what a SE Asian martial artist likes!

Ron Kosakowski
2148 South Main St.
Waterbury, CT 06706
203-596-9073
info@psdtc.com

n/a

11 Posts
Posted - 02/15/2005 :  13:26:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is interesting to see others talk about Reeders. As I have mentioned in earlier posts Master Servidio and Master Young kept out of the spot light and just tried to teach what Reeders had taught. Our school kept mainly to ourselves and vary rarely went to tournaments and seminars. Occasionally I would go to seminars on behalf of our school. If you ever have the opportunity to go to NE Pennsylvannia let me know and I will get you hooked up with our school. We have always welcomed other martial artists whom are interested in visiting and respectfully sharing ideas.

Go to Top of Page

Francis

USA
186 Posts
Posted - 02/15/2005 :  23:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is your school in NEPA? I'm from Scranton and I visit fairly often.

Silentum ExcubitorGo to Top of Page

n/a

11 Posts
Posted - 02/16/2005 :  09:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The School is in Meadville Pennsylvannia and has been in continuous operation for over 40 years. Masters Servidio and Young have been the main instructors for the entire time of the schools operation. If you travel to that area and are interested in visiting I would be more than happy to give you directions and Master Youngs contact information.

Go to Top of Page

JK

USA
1057 Posts
Posted - 02/17/2005 :  15:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"What the name of his teacher was is unknown to me!"

how come he never revealed that information?

Justin

A martial artist's road to success is paved with blood.Go to Top of Page

fullcombat

USA
333 Posts
Posted - 02/17/2005 :  22:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It would have been nice to know the detailed lineage of Mr. Rossiís teacher. From reading some backdated posts as well as listening to Ron talk, it appears that Mr. Rossi was involved in some highly classified missions for the Government. I donít know, but perhaps he was employed by the Office of Strategic Services at the time (now called the CIA), and this classified information included who trained him. I believe Mr. Rossi was asked, but never revealed this information, so I am assuming that whoever his instructor was did not wish be revealed.

I am sure Ron can expand further on this...

Mike

Go to Top of Page

psdtc

USA
6855 Posts
Posted - 02/17/2005 :  23:19:13  Show Profile  Visit psdtc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Justin

A martial artist's road to success is paved with blood.

Mr Rossi was very secrative about his style of Kun Tao. Why, I don't know! He would show most people stuff that can only defend against for self defense purposes to add to what they have already. I had to bother him a little way back then and make promises to not show anyone. Getting the system out of him was difficult. I would assume he trusted me, obviously. While working with the other styles I train in, he would show me how he would do it...especially in the area of the clench, where Kun tao or at least is most effective. It was definately out of the normal routine to learn those techniques but it was always cool.I told him toward his last years, most martial art "secrets" are out. Though most people are punch kick and now a days, they grapple. I like that also. But the South east Asian Cristian and Muslim martial arts definately have the answers. And what GM Rossi brought here to the US is definately one of them. I definately feel lucky!

Ron Kosakowski
2148 South Main St.
Waterbury, CT 06706
203-596-9073
info@psdtc.com

n/a

5 Posts
Posted - 02/28/2005 :  17:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

greetings,
i am a student of indonesian/chinese self defense methods of GM Sikes, a pupil of both GGM Willem Reeders and Goeroe Willie Wetzel.

Ells,
GGM Reeder's kuntao was a taught to him by his uncle. to my knowledge it was a family style of southern gungfu. his uncle was a shaolin priest. Where do you study, if you dont mind my asking?

our kuntao has both chinese and indonesian influences. it is stated that GM Reeders had multiple silat teachers.

"He studied under GM Reeders also!"

clarification: i did not study with GM Reeders. i was much too young. i did however go to his house on many occasions with my father, his student. at that time i was between the ages of five and ten.

that diagram is a diamond pattern, two triangles placed back to back. it is so vague that you could infer whatever you'd like about those movements, but the general idea is to move off angle and in to counter. a common kuntao concept. i wouldnt try to read to much into that "secret".

i for one would like to hear a more detailed account of how guy savelli 'defeated' GM Reeders to achieve his orange sash.

i concur that practice is the road to mastery. i wouldnt say that there are secrets, but there are indeed concepts and principles that are very important in kuntaosilat training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a

5 Posts
Posted - 02/28/2005 :  17:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello there NASDA2, my name is Raza and i have been looking for Master Arthur Sikes for about 3 years i would say.He use to teach my friends here in Houston.I would like to request you for more info on him like whats his number and what city and state are you guys in?You can email me its holy186@hotmail.com
Thanks
www.worldkungfu.com

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 9 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

PSDTC Forum

Go To Top Of Page

The opinions expressed by the visitors to this forum are not those of the Practical Self Defense Training Center or its management.

Electronic Valley